Saturday, December 12, 2009

Concerts



In one of his entries, Josh commented that perhaps he should change the title of his blog to A Blog About Snowboarding. Well, perhaps I should change mine to A Blog About Music. Music seems to permeate almost every aspect of my life, so I suppose it shouldn't come as a surprise that I've devoted so many blog entries to it.

One of my favorite music-related pastimes is attending concerts. A great thing about living on Long Island is that so many concert venues are in close proximity. We have large venues like Nassau Coliseum and Jones Beach Theater, as well as smaller places like The Theatre at Westbury and The Boulton Center. New York City is also home to a number of venues, including the world-famous Madison Square Garden and Carnegie Hall. I've been lucky enough to attend several events at these places, and they are always a lot of fun.

The only downside of going to concerts at the above mentioned venues is that tickets tend to be relatively expensive, sometimes even costing over $100 each. However, there are alternatives that are far less costly. Many local governments, including Nassau County, the Town of Hempstead, the Town of Oyster Bay, and the Town of Babylon, sponsor dozens of free concerts each year. These concerts often feature cover bands, which are bands that play music that has been made famous by other artists. Some people think of cover bands as being second-rate, but the reality is that many cover bands are well-respected for their outstanding musicianship. Even if cover bands don't suit your tastes, several of these free concerts feature famous artists. Within the past few years, I have attended free concerts by Lee Greenwood, Dave Mason, Dennis DeYoung (the former lead singer of Styx), and many others.

Enjoy the show!

Vocabulary

Permeate (verb) - to be present in every part of something
Aspect (noun) - one part of something that has many parts
Venue (noun) - a place where a meeting, concert, or event occurs
Proximity (noun) - nearness, closeness
Downside (noun) - a negative part or disadvantage of something
Second-rate (adjective) - inferior, not of the best quality
Musicianship (noun) - skill in playing music

Vocabulary Practice

1. An auditorium is a typical _________ for a theatrical performance.
2. Because I live in the suburbs, there are many other houses in close _________ to mine.
3. Eric Clapton is an excellent guitar player. He is known for his __________.
4. Verb conjugation is one _________ of grammar.
5. John is usually a great singer, but his performance last night was _________.
6. When the sun rises, the bright sunshine will __________ this room.
7. This book tells an interesting story. However, the __________ is that it is written in a boring style.

Grammar Point

Uncountable nouns are things that cannot be separated or divided, or counted. An example is water. We can count cups of water, ounces of water, or bottles of water, but we cannot count water itself. I used several uncountable nouns in this blog entry, including proximity and musicianship.

Grammar Practice

Write five sentences containing uncountable nouns.

1 comment:

  1. Good entry!My son and brother are avid music lovers and concert goers.

    Most notably, I have seen The Who, Billy Joel, James Taylor, Cat Stevens (in his younger days), Sting in concert. Of my favorites whom I haven't seen, I would most like to see Neil Young. I love Bob Dylan's music, but I have lived most of my life without wanting to hear him in person.

    Of contemporary singers/bands, I like Linkin Park, Three Doors Down, Josh Groban, and Shakira.

    I like classical music but mostly Mozart and Bach. I prefer ancient church music and folk music to most classical music.

    ReplyDelete